Updated 9/30/22 | Blood Donation and COVID-19
Appointments are encouraged and walk-ins are welcome. All blood types are needed. Donate blood today!
As of October 1, 2022, based on CDC’s latest guidance, So Cal Blood Bank does not requires staff, volunteers, blood donors, vendors, contractors, and visitors to wear a face mask inside its facilities or while donating blood. Those who wish to wear a mask may do so freely.
We are temporarily deferring donors that have traveled outside the U.S. in the last 10 days. Travel to Baja, Mexico is acceptable.
Please read Frequently Asked Questions for information related to blood donation and COVID-19, including a full list of travel and exposure deferrals.
- All donors who have been diagnosed with or are suspected of having COVID-19 are deferred for 10 days from the date the symptoms resolved.
- Please allow extra time as we have implemented enhanced cleaning processes.
- If you have seasonal allergies, please donate when you are not experiencing symptoms. We are currently deferring anyone with symptoms shared with COVID-19.
- If donors cared for, lived with or otherwise have had close contact with an individual(s) diagnosed with or suspected of having COVID-19 infection, they are deferred for 10 days from the last date of exposure with the individual(s). Healthcare workers, please review our vaccine FAQs.
- The following COVID-19 vaccines are permitted without a deferral period: AstraZeneca, Janssen/Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer. If you are unsure of the name of the COVID-19 vaccine or it is not listed, you will be deferred from donation for 14 days.
- Eligible donors can donate blood regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.
- To donate blood, you must be 17 years or older, weigh a minimum of 114 pounds, and be in general good health. Click here to view basic eligibility requirements and to prepare for your blood donation.
Visit our new Irvine Business District Donor Center or find a mobile blood drive in Orange County and Los Angeles County. Call (844) 380-5220
COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma (CCP) Donation: Recovered from COVID-19? Fill out the form to see if you are eligible to donate plasma to help patients battling illness in local hospitals.